Lost passports abroad costing Britons a massive £3.5m

10th February 2016


The number of emergency travel documents issued has increased 22%, while the cost to UK travellers of replacing lost passports abroad has reached £3.5m per year.

Gocompare.com is warning Brits travelling abroad to keep their passports safe as issuing emergency documents can be an expensive and time consuming process.

Emergency travel documents (ETD) are provided to British travellers as last-minute replacements for lost, stolen, damaged passports abroad. Between April 2014 and March 2015, the FCO Foreign and Commonwealth Office provided 37,890 emergency travel documents to Brits abroad. Over 20,600 passports were also reported as lost or stolen.

It costs at least £167.50 to replace a lost or stolen passport abroad. Obtaining an ETD costs £95, (plus travel costs to the embassy or consulate, replacement photographs and, any replacement visas you may need for your journey) and when you get back to the UK, the fee for an adult replacement passport is £72.50.

Most travel insurance policies provide some cover for the costs associated with obtaining emergency travel documents while you are abroad. However, policies generally don’t cover the cost of replacing your passport when you return to the UK.

Insurers will expect you to treat your passport as a valuable and keep it safe – either on your person or in a locked room or safe. They will generally exclude cover if the passport has been stolen while unattended, this includes leaving it in a parked car unless the passport is stowed out of sight in a boot or other storage compartment.

Gocompare.com reviewed 636 annual (multi-trip) and 631 single trip travel insurance policies which revealed that one in ten of single trip and 9% of annual travel policies exclude cover for passports.

Of those policies providing cover, 21% of annual and single trip policies will only pay-out £50 to £150 per person.

Most travel insurance policies (73% annual, 72% single trip) have a cover limit of £200 to £500, while 10% of annual and 6% of single trip policies provide cover of £600 to £5,000.

If your passport is lost or stolen, you will need to obtain a report from the local police. You will need this to obtain replacement travel documents. You will also have to arrange new passport photographs and visit the local British consulate or embassy to complete the necessary ETD paperwork.

You will also need to cancel your missing passport to prevent someone else using it. Insurers also require you to report the theft or loss to the police, usually within 24 hours of discovery and obtain a written police report.

You may also have to notify your insurer of the loss within a specific timeframe, again typically 24 hours. To support your claim, your insurer will ask for receipts for any expenses – such as travel to and from the embassy – relating the purchase of emergency travel documents.

Gocompare.com’s travel insurance spokesman, Tom Lewis says: “Losing your passport abroad can ruin your holiday and leave you seriously out of pocket. Your passport provides proof of your identity, so, if it’s badly damaged, for example as a result of water damage, the information and/or photo are less clear or electronic chip is damaged, you may not be able to use it.

“So, we are urging holidaymakers to keep their passports safe.  While you are travelling keep it in a secure bag or inside pocket.  If you don’t need it with you, for example if you’re spending a day on the beach, leave it in a hotel safe.

“The FCO advises travellers to take two photocopies of their passport and to leave one with someone at home and take the other with you, keeping it separate from the original. So, if you are unfortunate enough to be parted from your passport, the copy documents will help the process of obtaining new documents quicker and easier.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *